“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” – Alan Watts
As we walk out into the world we are entering a story. This story defines us and the way that we interact with our beliefs, actions, society, etc. As much as we are always entering into the story that others have defined for us, we are also given the gift of writing our own story in every action we take. This month I sat down with Rachel Beck, founder of Storyforge Productions, and we discussed the nuances of story telling. We looked at our society and how we are working to rectify our long history with marginalizing females – specifically in the comic industry. We also looked at the basic construction of worlds and characters and how those construction create compelling reasons that keep us reading.
Reflecting on the talk I am reminded that complications are what keep us interested in the world around us. As comic artists we create fiction where our character confront and battle those contradictions. Theoretically that gives us the inspiration to fight our own demons. That’s what the #ComicFuel show is all about right? For us to join together to turn away from just consuming art and to bring us into the battle – the battle to create art.
So get out your pens and papers. Sit down. Join us as Rachel and I provide the fuel you are going to need for the coming battle.
Jump times to go to different parts of the podcast:
- (00:00:00) Alan Watts on Play & Work
- (00:03:20) Introduction To Show
- (00:13:20) Question 1 – Female Comic Creators
- (00:46:20) AudioFuel – Maya Angelou “And I Rise”
- (00:50:00) Question 2 – Tension & Resolution
- (01:02:00) Question 3 – Character Driven Storytelling
- (01:19:00) Question 3.5 – Scenarios
- (01:27:40) AudioFuel – Morgan Freeman recites Invictus
- (01:30:40) Question 4 – Drawing As A Writer
- (01:48:30) AudioFuel – Alan Watts on the State Of Nothing
- (01:59:20) Question 5 – Onomatopoeias
- (02:05:20) Question 6 – Short & Sweet
- (02:13:00) Show Outro
Let me know what you think of the show by tweeting @patrickyurick
Please consider supporting us so that more episodes of the show can be released by donating at $1+ to the show on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/makingcomics
As always – the entire show notes catalog is on the Comic Fuel Wiki: http://comicfuel.wikidot.com/wiki:episode-5
- Patreon Info Segment:“Story To Fall Through” by Dr. Turtle, used under CC BY / Desaturated from original
- Intro & Outro Songs:“Unexpected Hoedown In Bagging Area” by Dr. Turtle, used under CC BY / Desaturated from original
- #Comic/Audio Fuel Segments
Audio Fuel Used
- Desaturated from Maya Angelou’s reading of “And I Still Rise” video on Youtube from her book of the same name, “And I Still Rise”.
- Desaturated from original video “Why Your Life Is Not A Journey” by David Lindberg featuring Alan Watts.
- Sleeping at Last – Saturn
- Sleeping at Last – Uranus
- Desaturated from original interview of Morgan Freeman on the Charlie Rose show reciting Invictus poem by William Ernest Henley.
- Desaturated from original talk on “The State of Nothingness” by Alan Watts. Transcribed version of talk available here